1. Korean Courses Currently Offered
|Course number & Title||Prerequisites|
|KORN 301, 302
Readings in Korean Topics I, II
You must complete KORN 301 first in order to take KORN 302
KORN 351 (formerly 351A), 352 (formerly 351B)*
Completing KORN 302 before taking KORN 351 is recommended
You must complete KORN 351 in order to take KORN 352
|KORN 410A, 410B
Modern Korean Fiction
You can take either 410A or 410B (no set order)
Readings in Middle and Early Modern Korean
|KORN 410 or taking concurrently|
|KORN 440A, 440B||KORN 410|
*Effective from 2023W onwards, KORN 351A has been modified to KORN 351, and KORN 351B has been modified to KORN 352.
2. Suggested Course Plans
- Absolute beginners begin with KORN 102.
- After completing KORN 200, KORN 301 is recommended as the next course.
- Completion of KORN 301 and KORN 302 is mandatory for students who wish to major in Asian Language and Culture with a focus on Korea.
- We recommend taking 351 after completing 302, but you may take 351 before taking 301, or while taking 301 simultaneously.
- KORN 351/352 and KORN 410A/B may be taken concurrently.
- You must complete 302 to take 410A/B. 410B can be taken first.
- You must complete 410 to take 440A/B.
- You must complete 410 or take it simultaneously to take 420. Fluent speakers of Korean, including international students from Korea, can also take 420. If you wish to take 420 concurrently with 351/352, please contact your 420 instructor, Professor Ross King (email@example.com).
- All courses can be taken without meeting prerequisites if you are placed into the course by the placement interview procedure.
3. Requirements for Major in Asian Language and Culture – Area of Focus: Korea
The Major in Asian Language and Culture with a focus on Korea requires the completion of 48 total credits of coursework, as follows.
ASIA credits: 21-30*
6 credits: ASIA 200-level (this may include ASTU 201/202)
12-21 credits: ASIA 300-level or higher*
3 credits: ASIA 400-level*
*At least 9 upper-level (300+) ASIA credits must be related to Korea.
Language credits: 15-24
6 credits: any East Asian language (CLCH, CHIN, JAPN, CNTO)
6-15 credits: KORN 300-level or higher
3 credits: KORN 400-level
R (Research Intensive) credits:
3 credits: ASIA or KORN Research Intensive Course+
+Credits taken to satisfy the Research-Intensive requirement may not also be applied towards
the upper-level ASIA requirement (for ASIA R courses) or upper-level language requirement
(for KORN R courses). A maximum of 3 credits of ASIA R courses is permitted in the degree.
For inquiries related to the major, please contact Rei Nagaya, the Undergraduate Advisor of the Department of Asian Studies (firstname.lastname@example.org).
4. Requirements for Minor in Asian Language and Culture – Area of Focus: Korea
The Minor in Asian Language and Culture with a focus on Korea requires the completion of 30 total credits of coursework, as follows.
ASIA/CLCH credits: 12-18*
0-6 credits of ASIA/CLCH 100-level or above (this may include ASTU 201/202 or CHIN 388/389/449)
12-18 credits: ASIA/CLCH 300-level or above* (this may include CHIN 388/389/449)
*At least 12 upper-level (300+) ASIA credits must be related to Korea.
12 -18 credits of KORN, of which 6 credits must be at or above the 300-level
For inquires related to the minor, please contact Rei Nagaya, the Undergraduate Advisor of the Department of Asian Studies (email@example.com).